Proposed Changes to 2014-2015 Fish Code
May 6, 2013
Updated September 3, 2013
The NJDEP Division of Fish and Wildlife is advising the public that amendments are being proposed for the 2014-2015 Fish Code. The Fish Code includes regulations governing fishing in the state; amendments may include adjustments to season dates, bag/creel limits, or the means by which fish may be taken and possessed.
When the Notice of Rule Proposal is published in the NJ Register later this year, information and a link will be posted for the proposal on the DEP Notice of Rule Proposals page. A 60-day comment period will ensue during which written comments can be submitted via US mail or online, and oral comments may be made at public meeting (date, time, and location will be announced).
The proposed amendments to the 2014-2015 Fish Code will include the following:
Links to additional information that explain the proposed changes listed above will be provided as soon as they become available. In addition to these proposed changes, the proposal also includes minor changes to improve the clarity and accuracy of the Fish Code.
For general information regarding the revision of hunting and fishing regulations in the state visit www.njfishandwildlife.com/codechange.htm.
- A change to the trout fishing regulations for the Big Flat Brook (Sussex Co.), from the Rt. 206 bridge downstream to the Roy bridge, to Catch & Release Only - Artificial Lures Only.
- A change to the trout fishing regulations for the Ken Lockwood Gorge section (Hunterdon Co.) of the South Branch Raritan River, to Catch & Release Only - Artificial Lures Only.
- Removal of in-season trout fishing closure on the Black River (Morris Co.). NOTE: As of August 13, 2013, this measure is no longer being considered by the Council.
- A change to the bass regulations for Lake Audrey (Cumberland) to trophy bass regulations.
- Addition of four waters, Manalapan Lake (Middlesex), Franklin Lake (Monmouth Co.), Nomahegan Park Pond (Union Co.), and Mountain Lake (Warren Co.), to the trout stocking program.
- Discontinue trout stocking at Farrington Lake (Middlesex Co.), Shadow Lake (Monmouth) and Lake Takanassee (Monmouth Co.).
- Redefining the upper trout stocking boundaries for Lawrence Brook (Middlesex Co.) to include the stream section from the base of Davidson's Mill dam, to Church Lane.
- Designation of Tilcon Lake (Morris Co.) as a Holdover Trout Lake.
- Increase the limit on landlocked herring that may be taken for personal use, from freshwater lakes in Morris, Passaic, Sussex, and Warren counties, and Spruce Run Reservoir (Hunterdon Co.), from 10 to 35, and establish a 6-inch maximum size limit.
- Establish trap specifications for commercial harvest of snapping turtles.